Friday, March 13, 2009

Scale of a time

It's Friday, we don't do much in the way of planned learning on Friday's. Today we experimented with our new scale. They spent over an hour weighing different things. I, meanwhile, sorted through all the new school books we got along with the scale.

Clint and I had a long conversation last evening about Corbin's lack of interest in reading. I did some reading on "late-readers". We've decided to completely lay off him about reading until he expresses interest in wanting to learn. We will read to him as much as he wants, he can ask us questions about how to spell things/what things say but for now, it is all up to him. As for what this means for our 09-10 schedule, I asked Corbin if he would like to continue writing. He said Yes. We will do copywork every day and oral narration. For his journals he can draw pictures or we will help him with any writing. I want to read more in the grammer book before I decide if we want to go ahead with that or wait. Explode the Code will be optional. I will offer it to him everyday, if he wants to do some work in it great, if not, great. We will also be letting him pick books at the library on things that spark his interest. I think giving him some control in this area of his schooling, instead of being a battle, will make a big impact on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment